1kg boneless lamb shoulder
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large brown onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, diced
3 celery sticks, diced
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
175g packet Celebrate Health Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
400g can cherry tomatoes
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
375g dried pappardelle pasta
½ cup (40g) finely grated parmesan, to serve
Fresh basil, to serve
- Trim lamb of excess fat and cut into 5cm pieces.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook lamb, for 1-2 minutes each side, or until browned. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery, and cook stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Stir in Celebrate Health Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce, canned tomatoes, 125ml (1/2 cup) water and vinegar and bring to the boil. Transfer mixture to slow cooker, ensuring sauce evenly covers the lamb.
- Cook, covered on high for 4 hours (or on slow for 8 hours) or until lamb is very tender. Using 2 forks coarsely shred lamb.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water following packet instructions. Drain.
- Serve hot pasta topped with the lamb ragu. Serve sprinkled with parmesan and basil.
This lamb ragu is suitable to freeze (without the pasta). Place ragu in airtight containers, cover and freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost portions overnight in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stovetop.
NUTRITION & NOTES:
Each serve of ragu contains over half of your daily protein needs.
Per serve 35.5g protein 19.4g fat (7.7g saturated fat) 53.5g carb 5.3g dietary fibre 2262kJ (541 Cals) 510mg sodium